Thursday, March 26, 2009

Money As Motivator - It's a Tool For Good

What's your money attitude?

Some years ago, I heard Money Coach Guru Suzi Orzman ask that question on one of her shows. I paused because I'd never really thought about it. However, once I did, I discovered that I was like a lot of people. I had a poor relationship with money. I was uncomfortable with having a lot of it. I'd been conditioned to believe that money was the root of all evil. I was satisfied with just getting by. What I realized is that for my entire life I hadn't been limited by the world around me, but by my own limiting beliefs about money.

I no longer have that mind set, because I no longer falsely believe that money is the root of all evil. My attitude and mental relationship with money had to change before the door of financial success could open in my life. I now believe and know that money is a tool for good. Having money creates more goodness. When I have money to give to myself and to others I am creating more goodness. More value. More opportunity. More good quality of life. Without it, my life and other people's lives are more of a struggle, it creates more stress and leaves people feeling uncertain.

One of the biggest benefits that occurred when I changed my money belief is I experienced a huge increase in my creative and motivational quotients! It was like the world became brand new.

People are fond of saying that money is the root of all evil, but of course it isn't. People and the choices they make are the root of any evil that exists in this world. And right about now, I think most folks would say that money is a solution. Just ask someone facing foreclosure, or a small business who can't afford to pay their employees and order inventory at the same time. Simply put, money isn't good or evil, it's the reality of the way our society works.

The singer India Arie has a song called "There's Hope." In it she sings "It doesn't cost a thing to smile. You don't have to pay to laugh." A friend of mine always responds to that song by saying that he didn't see many people in need of money smiling or laughing. I used to think he was being cynical, but in light of the economic crisis at hand (and truthfully, even without it) he has a really good point. The probability of getting money and having money to do something with is a strong and necessary motivator. Plainly put, you need money to live and to pursue your dreams and it does make smiling and laughing just a bit more enjoyable.

Ultimately, it's to our benefit to understand that money is really a tool for good and to practice this principle in every area of our lives.

The author, Densie J. Hart, is a Creativity & Motivation Coach, and founder of Words to Live By, Llc, a company providing creativity & motivational coaching, workshops, and products that help women to live the life they truly desire right now! She's also the face behind the popular blog, The Motivation Mama! where she blogs about positively real tips and insights for increasing your creative and motivation mojo. As an Assistant Professor of Theatre Denise specializes in teaching acting, playwriting, and helping people to access and maintain their creativity. You can see her at work on season 4 of HBO's "The Wire" as the recurring character Miss Anna.

No comments:

Post a Comment